tomcat-users mailing list archives

From nbd95 <nb...@macconnect.com>
Subject Help: Tomcat 3.2.3 and Apache on FreeBSD **Java newbie**
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:01:33 GMT
The details:

FreeBSD 4.1
Jakarta-Tomcat 3.2.3
JDK-1.1.8
Apache 1.3.20 (DSO)
mod_jk

I've been around the block with PHP, Perl, Bash, Apache, Unix, Linux,
Postfix, BIND, Netatalk, Samba, Kernels. Building, configuring, patching,
set-up, custom compiling, all no problem. I am *new* to Java.

I've installed Tomcat-Apache and it appears to work.
http://localhost/examples accessed through Apache, the Tomcat examples all
function. http://localhost:8080/ accesses the Tomcat main page, the examples
work here as well.

I have returned my configuration to the beginning, removing my muddled
attempts at setup. Currently I have this line added to my httpd.conf,

Include /usr/local/tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf

mod_jk.conf has been changed *only* to correct the path to mod_jk.so and the
path to the mod_jk.log file. At this point Apache starts, loads mod_jk.so,
and the examples can be accessed and run successfully.

Thhhhpppppppppppppp! Phooey.

My problem is I am trying to get examples of *.jsp code to work
unsuccessfully. I have example code from a book (Core JSP) that I cannot
run. Can anyone step me through creating a directory where I might store
*.jsp files for experimenting? I'm simply trying to eval JSP and explore
it's environment.

I've read the book, Core JSP, and the "Working with mod_jk" - "Tomcat-Apache
HOWTO" papers. I still don't get which *.conf files I need to modify to send
*.jsp files to Tomcat from the Apache directory structure.

I thank you for your indulgence.

DAve