tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: mod_webapp + Tomcat 4 + Apache
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:07:13 GMT
"Laurens Fridael" <l.fridael@championchip.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When would the mod_webapp/Tomcat4/Apache combination be ready for production
> use? Is anyone using this combination already? In the release notes of Beta
> 7 it is stated that the combination does work but there are some limitations
> pertaining to basic authentication. I'm using form authentication so that
> limitation is not an issue.

Well... Since I wrote it, I'm not _THAT_ confident on the WebApp module,
it's definitely NOT yet ready for prime time yet... But it works... It's
easy to use and in we're catching up fast... I wouldn't want to put out a
date for a final release, but, what I would suggest is, try it, with Apache
1.3 under Unix it should be tough enough to bare a production server...

> Am I correct in saying that Tomcat 4 is already better than Tomcat 3 despite
> it not being labeled "Final" yet (because the Servlet 2.3 specs haven't yet
> been finalized)? I don't want to learn having to configure Tomcat 3 when the
> latest and greatest is just around the corner.

In my opinion TC4 has always been better than 3, from its design point of
view... In terms of robustness, I've never seen (NEVER) 4.0 fail in the past
6 months...

    Pier