tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andy Bailey" <Andy.Bai...@artec-technologies.de>
Subject RE: Tomcat URL Problem
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:13:46 GMT
Hi Ross,

if you want to use + signs in a URL (inadvisable really) then you will
need to encode them such that the + sign is converted
to its %XXX equivalent. The + sign is used to denote spaces in GET
method URL's so it would appear that Tomcat is doing the right thing.

Use the - sign instead, or the _ (underscore) sign.

Andy Bailey

PS not being totally conversant with the relevant RFC's I am not 100%
certain of the above explanation however I personally avoid + signs in
URL's like the plague.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Allard [mailto:Ross.Allard@sas.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 2:45 PM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Tomcat URL Problem

We have a tool which generates a website which, as usual, consists of a
directory tree of html and other files.  Our file naming convention
makes heavy use of the plus sign, +, as a separator.  E.g. "file0+1",
"file1+2".  This apparently causes an error when deployed on Tomcat.
The plus sign seems to be mapped to space resulting in a 404 error.  It
is our understanding that our naming scheme is fully w3c compliant and
we've had no problems with other html servers.  Is this a Tomcat bug?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ross Allard
Sas Institute