tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank Lawlor" <frank.law...@athensgroup.com>
Subject charset Problem
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:40:36 GMT
I was having a problem in that I could see Japanese text on my development
system, but when I put the app on the main server, I could no longer see the
Japanese text, but others could.  I am using IE 5.5 browser.

I finally tracked it down to the fact that the JSP compiler was generating
     response.setContentType("text/html;charset=8859_1");
on my system, but on the server it was generating
     response.setContentType("text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1");

I wasn't setting anything in my JSP source.

If I force the server to generate "8859_1" or nothing it works fine.

What determines the charset setting which Jasper generates when nothing is
specified?
Is this a bug?

Thanks,

Frank Lawlor
Athens Group, Inc.
(512) 345-0600 x151
Athens Group, an employee-owned consulting firm integrating technology
strategy and software solutions.