tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Noah Zigas <Noah.Zi...@paxar.com>
Subject servlet hang
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:46:13 GMT
Hi All,
I'm new to the this list, but I have searched endlessly on the following
problem.

First the machine config:
	Dell-installed RedHat Linux, kernel 2.2.14
	Apache 1.3.12 compiled from source
	Tomcat 3.2.3 compile from source
	Blackdown JDK 1.2.2-FCS

I have a webapp that utilizes applet-servlet communication.  I send
serialized
java objects back and forth, but the problem I have only occurrs when
sending
a serialized object -from- the applet -to- the servlet.

My servlet.log file shows StreamCorruptedException: EOFException.

After a varying number of the above exceptions, the machine completely
hangs.  It's not just that the servlet engine crashes, but the entire
machine.
It then requires a hard reboot.

I have tried trapping the StreamCorruptedException.
I have tried closing the Connection.InputStream.
I have tried reading the leftover bytes -from- the Connection.InputStream
	after the StreamCorruptedException was thrown.

This is an important project for my company, and I'm at my wits end.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Noah
Senior Software Engineer
Paxar Systems Group