tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hoggatt Matt - mahogg <Matt.Hogg...@acxiom.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Servlet Directory
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:48:59 GMT
With JServ, we are able to have multiple servlet directories mapped to Unix
home directories( i.e.. /home/user1/servlets, /home/user2/servlets, . . . ).
This is very convenient for development.  That is why I want to change the
servlets directory.

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Isaacs [mailto:Larry.Isaacs@sas.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 9:37 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Tomcat Servlet Directory

The answer would be that is isn't configurable.

The Servlet 2.2 spec introduced the concept of a web
application, which is an archive with a predefined
internal structure that includes the "WEB-INF"
directories.  This web application archive is supposed
to be universally deployable.  It is up to the
servlet container how it chooses to deploy the
web application.  It so happens that Tomcat deploys
to a directory structure that matches the jar, but
servlet containers are not required to do so.
The only requirement is that the classes contained
in the archive's "WEB-INF/classes" and "WEB-INF/lib"
be made available only to that web application.
The spec doesn't require that these location(s)
be made configurable.  Tomcat doesn't currently
support this, and isn't likely to support it.

Is there some reason you don't want to put your
servlets in the WEB-INF/classes, or in jars
in the WEB-INF/lib?

Larry