tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hoggatt Matt - mahogg <Matt.Hogg...@acxiom.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Servlet Directory
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:13:39 GMT
Are you saying that there is no way to change the preset servlet directory?

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Isaacs [mailto:Larry.Isaacs@sas.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 9:06 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Tomcat Servlet Directory

Handling for WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib is mandated by
the Servlet 2.2 and later specifications.  If you want your
servlets, or other classes, to be accessible *only* to that
web application, then these are the only places available that
do this.

However, you may place servlets on your CLASSPATH.  These
servlets will be available in all web applications.  Thus,
you may put "C:\public_html\myServlets" on your CLASSPATH
and put servlets there.

The important thing to note about doing this is that
the "CLASSPATH" servlets will be loaded by the "application"
classloader.  The means that these servlet will *NOT* be
able to use any classes from any web application's
WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib directories.  This may affect
the suitability of putting servlets on the CLASSPATH.

Hope this helps.
Larry