tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marc <ma...@easystreet.com>
Subject New troubles with Tomcat 3.2.1
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:38:49 GMT

Hi -

I have been running the Tomcat server without problems for some time
now, but recently I have started experiencing a problem that seems to be
related to it. Immediately after I boot of my computer, and start up the
Tomcat server, everything works fine, but after and hour or two, most of
my other applications, such as IE6, Outlook Express, Netscape etc start
to fail accessing the internet and cannot connect to any server. (Other
programs continue to work fine, it is just the internet accessing ones
with fail) The solution I have found is to stop and restart the Tomcat
server and then everything works fine for another hour or two. There are
no error messages in either the MSDOS console window or in any of the
log files for the Tomcat server. The only other thing I can think of is
that I have been working on and expanding a servlet but this problem is
occurring even when no accesses are made to the servlet, so I don't
think that could be the source of this problem... I thought maybe I was
running out of resources such as memory, GDI or User (am running on
Windows 98 sigh, and using the latest JRE 1.3.1 from Sun) so have tried
shutting down other programs, but that didn't help... Maybe I should
consider upgrading to 4.0? Is it ready for prime time? Is it difficult
to upgrade?  I am only running a few servlets and a simple web site from
it.... Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks...

    Marc....

P.S. Sorry if this gets posted twice, Outlook Express seems to send
everything in MIME encapsulated format, even if it is not required, and
I got a bounce back message from the Jakarta server refusing to accept
it... So am attempting to send via Netscape... Sigh...

Do you think the software industry will ever make software that is as
easy and reliable for a user to use as the automobile industry makes a
car easy and reliable for a user to drive?

A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me
a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane