tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Oinn <...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Destination Port for mod_jk
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:54:33 GMT

David Smith wrote:

> I believe it's the same as a conversation between your web browser and
> Apache.  When Apache makes a request of Tomcat, it uses the first available
> port on the local machine to open a connection to Tomcat.  In a linux box,
> check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range for the range of available
> ports.  Tomcat will reply back on the same port.  If you really want firewall
> security that tight, you might want to check into stateful inspection on the
> Apache server.  There, the ports are opened based on outgoing requests and
> closed when the connection is closed.   I believe iptables supports this
> using the state match extension module, but you'll have to check the docs
> since I've never tried it.
>
> My thoughts on the subject -- anyone else?

Assuming that each machine can reasonably trust the other, you could
add a completely isolated network interface to each machine, and set
up the apache and tomcat to use this interface, effectively you have
no security constraints on the interfaces between the two servers and
all your firewalling goes on on the machines' primary interfaces to
the rest of the world. We have a similar system with tomcat / oracle
machines and it seems simple and secure enough.

Tom Oinn