tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Plamen Petkov <plame...@bgstore.com>
Subject Re: Help: Tomcat 3.x/ 4.x and FreeBSD
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:07:27 GMT
nbd95 wrote:

> on 9/12/01 12:07 PM, Paul Kofon at pkofon@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I just got a request from a friend of mine to help him build a portal for
> > his office. Now, he would like to keep using his server which runs FreeBSD.
> > I don't have any experience with this OS, however, I'm willing to help my
> > friend. My questions are these:
> > 1. Which JDK should I use?
> > 2. Is anyone running Tomcat 3.x or 4.x successfully on FreeBSD? If yes, I'd
> > appreciate a brief "how-to".
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I just installed Tomcat on a FreeBSD 4.1 system and it's working fine,
> though I don't yet know how to use it 8^(
>
> Two solutions,
>
> 1) Use the ports collection which works very well and will install a running
> Tomcat-Apache solution. Requires FreeBSD 4.2+. This in the method I used
> though I did install a new Apache using a FreeBSD layout (not included with
> Apache src).
>
> 2) Follow the instructions from the Tomcat web site. Requires you have
> already setup the JDK and JavaVMWrapper. I used JDK 1.1.8 and Javavmwrapper
> 1.1. I've done this as well and it worked also.
>
> I would be happy to send more detail if needed.
>
> DAve

Here is FBSD 4.4RC3, Tomcat 3.2.3, JDK 1.2.2. No problem at all.

0) Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.3 (or wait few days for upcoming 4.4 Release)

1) If possible, allways use ports !  They are ports, you know, something
is ported, changed, specific to FreeBSD

2) I'd suggest skipping JDK 1.1.8 ang go directly to 1.2.2 or 1.3/1.4
(big difference!! see http://java.sun.com )

regards,
--
Plamen D. Petkov ICQ#2214327