tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brendan McKenna" <mcken...@taringold.ie>
Subject Re: JDBC Connection Pool Theory ??
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:13:23 GMT
Hi Jon,

jemiller@uchicago.edu said:
: What I want to know is how much of a difference connection pooling
: really makes? My application isn't taking a lot of hits, so, maybe if
: it was, I would notice the difference, but, right now, I see no need
: to use connection pooling.

: Jon

	Part of the reason behind connection pooling is simply that
building a connection to the database can be quite expensive (in terms
of time), so in order to make your application appear more responsive,
having a pool of pre-built connections which you can use right away
makes the overall response time that much shorter, since each request
isn't going through the effort of building (and, at the end, tearing
down) the database connection.

	It's entirely possible that you feel that the responsiveness of
your application is adequate at the moment, if you're not getting a lot
of traffic, that's certainly reasonable.  It's just that the facility
is there, should your application's user base grow to the point where
you need it.  No one's holding a gun to your head and insisting that
you should use it.

						Brendan
--
Brendan McKenna			       Email: brendan.mckenna@taringold.ie
Development Strategist		       Phone: +353-61-338177