tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Allan Kamau <hugebirdwi...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: JSP vs. ASP
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:36:15 GMT
The main difference is that JSPs and Servlets make use
of the rich API offered by Java, while asp uses
scripting languages VBscript/JScript but could be made
more powerful with the use of COM and DCOM objects to
encapsulate business logic and gain speed and other
benefits of using objects. Through JSP and Servlets
one could access JavaBeans and better still EJBs. Once
you look deeper into the underlying differences in
technologies and viability using many factors of
Java:JavaBeans/EJB and Microsoft's VB/VC++/C# and
VB.NET then you will come to a conclusion on the
better option.
I my case Java and the open source wins over Microsoft
and it's technologies because of various factors; I
like developing in a strict OO environ, I live in
Kenya and I can't afford develop and deploy on
expensive Microsoft software, the richness of the Java
API and the availability of open source software which
is normally easily intergrated into Java projects, and
finally opensource software in most cases seems to
outperform Microsoft software in terms of Power though
you in most cases Microsoft tools are easier to learn
and work with: that is in the short term not to
mention vendor lockup .

Hope this will help you make your own choice.

Allan.

--- Järkeborn_Joacim