tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <load-on-startup> and Tomcat v4.0
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:02:01 GMT
The snippet you quoted looks fine, but there must be some other occurrence
of <load-on-startup> that is not fine.  Could you quote the entire web.xml
file instead?  Also, check around the exception report in the log file --
often, the parser will include some indication of what line number it is
on when it encounters an error,

As a general note, Tomcat 4 uses a validating XML parser when reading
web.xml files, to help you ensure that your web apps will be portable to
any container.  A consequence of this is that you must follow the element
ordering requirements in the DTD *exactly*.  Tomcat 3.2 did not do a
validating parse, so it accepted invalid web.xml files.

The DTD is published in the Servlet Specification, which can be downloaded
from:

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

Craig McClanahan