tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat-users.xml reload.
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:53:57 GMT

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Benoit Bertrand wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:26:35 +0200
> From: Benoit Bertrand <benoit.btd@wanadoo.fr>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: tomcat-users.xml reload.
>
>    hello,
>
>    I have got a question concerning tomcat-users.xml reloading. I am
> developping a web application where an administrator can add/remove user(s)
> (to contraints access to this web app). This operation add/remove the
> necessary information to/from tomcat-users.xml file.
>    Unfortunately, i discovered that this file is not updated until the next
> startup of tomcat. This is to say that to complete the add/remove operation,
> tomcat should be stopped an restarted (which is not what i intended to do).
>    My question is the following: is there a way to reload the user access
> from tomcat-users.xml ? If not this should say that i can not use
> tomcat-users.xml to contraints access for my web app ?
>
>    Sincerely,
>
>    Benoit Bertrand.

There is no current mechanism to reload tomcat-users.xml.

The memory realm is not really designed for production use - it is just
there to get things working initially without requiring you to set up a
database or a directory server.  You should use JDBCRealm in a real
application -- any changes to the underlying data are reflected
immediately the next time that user logs on, with no need to restart
anything.

Craig McClanahan