tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC4: web.xml and reloading
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:23:49 GMT

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:40:21 +1000
> From: Bojan Smojver <bojan@binarix.com>
> To: Tomcat User List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: TC4: web.xml and reloading
>
> I looked through the source code and in the documentation of the Loader
> to see if the change of web.xml will cause an application reload in TC4
> when relaodable is set to true, but I couldn't find anything that would
> tell me that explicitly.
>
> I'm sure this is the case in TC3.3, I was just trying to establish if
> that was the case in TC4.

When you set an application's <Context> entry to say "reloadable='true'",
Tomcat starts a background task that watches for changes to *any* class
that was originally loaded from /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib.  If such
a change is detected, the app will be reloaded.  The default checking
interval is 15 seconds, and can be changed like this:

  <Context ... reloadable="true" ...>
    <Loader checkInterval="5"/>
  </Context>

Of course, you can reload any application at any time (whether or not
you've set reloadable) by using the Manager application.

> Bojan

Craig

> PS. Is there really any need to keep the current documentation on the
> web site? The experimental seems to be more comprehensive.

The old stuff will be removed now that the new stuff has just become the
official version.  Up until very recently, the new format was not yet
complete content-wise.