tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mikael Aronsson" <mikael-arons...@telia.com>
Subject Re: JSP vs. ASP
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:46:21 GMT
Hi !

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Layman" <randy.layman@aswethink.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 12:42 PM
Subject: RE: JSP vs. ASP

They (MS) claim to have fixed this in VB.NET.....

> So, for a good ASP
> application you need to write the COM objects in C++, which gives you all
of
> your old headaches about memory management, etc.  Also these COM objects
are
> implemented as DLLs with need to be in the Windows directory (for
non-.Net)
> or in the IIS bin directory (for .Net).  In either case you can have only
> version of the object at a time, making multiple web applications using
the
> same objects but different versions impossible.  (There are also other
> implications that cause problems.)

They also claim to have fixed this, they have support for multiple .dlls
with different versions, but it only works on XP (I think), and it's a
pretty ugly solution if I understand it all correct (which I might not do of
course, I often have problems figuring out what MS is trying to do ;o)

> The downside for Java is its speed.  Its still an interpreted
> language.  However, with Microsoft making the CLI, ASP/C++/C# is now also
> interpreted, so the gap is closing.
>
> I've tried several different times to come up with an upside to ASP
> while writing this message, but none come to me.  Microsoft solutions are
> generally cheaper than EJB for initial outlay, there are more MS admins
> (IIS) out there than Tomcat/Resin/JRun/whatever servlet container.
However,