tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <ja...@spunkysoftware.com>
Subject Off-topic: Java CGI Programming
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:05:08 GMT
Sorry guys for the off topic post, but I am comparing CGI programming in
Java vs. JSP and Servlets.

I can't get to Marty Hall's Java CGI Programming page, and nobody replied to
any of my posts to Java newsgroups, and I'm getting kinda desperate to know
something!!!

The System.getenv() is depreciated, and I can't use it for CGI programming
with Java since I just get an error:

____

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of
HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

java.lang.Error: getenv no longer supported, use properties and -D instead:
QUERY_STRING
____

[from PWS running on Win98 SE]

I looked in the properties but there is nothing there that I can see about
environment variables. Can someone tell me how to get/set environment
variables in Java console programs? I am compiling these programs into EXEs
for Windows with Visual J++ and for UNIX with GCC, so they aren't being
invoked with the JVM.

Thanks heaps,
James