tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Fisher" <...@press.uchicago.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2.2 crashes with JDBC
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:47:34 GMT
I take that back. Maybe I am seeing bugs in J-Netdirect's JDBC drivers.

The OutOfMemory errors occur most often in connection with classes in the
JSQLConnect package, e.g.:

  Root cause:
  java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
     at com.jnetdirect.jsql.t.a(Unknown Source)
     etc.

But sometimes they occur in connection with other things, e.g.:

  Root cause:
  java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
     at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
     at sqlUtilities.makeXMLFromCurrentRow(sqlUtilities.java, Compiled Code)

The latter method, makeXMLFromCurrentRow(), is one of our custom methods.

Incidentally, it did not help to stop Tomcat, increase the memory allocation by
setting the TOMCAT_OPTS environment variable, and restart Tomcat. We gave it 512
megs, of which only a small fraction seemed to be used. The performance meter
showed only a slight increase in memory use during stress testing.

Seems like some compartment within that 512 megs is being set to a ridiculously
low default. I wonder what that might be....

I'll contact J-Netdirect, but if anyone can think of another angle to try, I'd
appreciate your advice. The setup again is Tomcat 3.2.1, Apache 1.3.20, Windows
2000 Server, SQL Server 2000 database, JSQLConnect and JSQLOptionalAPI.

 - Matt