tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Santosh Pasi<sp...@diskonnet.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat crashes simultaneous more connection above 990+
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.  And good link, really useful.

Here are results of our troubleshoot :(
On PIII 600, 256 Mb RAM, IDE Harddisk, RedHat Linux -
total no. of max. connection 990-1000 and finally tomcat crashes.  But
still apache, ldap and other applications are still running perfectly ok.
On RS/6000, AIX 4.3, 1000Gb RAM, etc
Total no. of max. connection 1600-2000 and finally reponse time
increases specially from tomcat.  But still apache, ldap and other applications
are still running perfectly ok.
Regards,
Santosh Pasi

---------------Original Message------------------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:31:33 +1000
>From: Jeff Turner <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
>To: Santosh Pasi <spasi@diskonnet.com>
>Cc: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>Subject: Re: Re: Tomcat crashes simultaneous more connection above 990+
>
>Well I think you're completely nuts :) For 10,000 concurrent requests
for>*dynamic* data (or else you'd just be using Apache.. right?), you'd
need a>server farm full of fancy equipment, a load-balancing server, and stuff
that>even my wildly ignorant speculations can't conceive.

>Besides, I don't think any single server with simple
thread-per-request, >blocking IO model can handle that sort of load. A smart fellow called

Matt>Welsh did his PhD thesis on highly concurrent server apps, and the
results of>his thinking are here:

>http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/sandstorm/
>
>In particular, the paper "The Staged Event-Driven Architecture for
Highly >Concurrent Servers." is well worth reading.