tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Santosh Pasi<>
Subject Re: Re: Jakarta crashes after 900+ simultaneous connection
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Thanks for prompt reply.

Here is file descriptor properties ... even manually i have increase
ulimit values of system before starting any services ...
[root@linux /root]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
[root@linux /root]# cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
[root@linux /root]#

Btw i have change it to values you specified ... and tested
still same problem .......

For testing it is non SMP

Java is 1.2.2

Thanks again  ...

Santosh Pasi

>Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 04:08:00 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Dan Garcia <>
>To:, Santosh Pasi <>
>Subject: Re: Jakarta crashes after 900+ simultaneous connection
>On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Santosh Pasi wrote:
>> We are using redhat 6.2 Linux, kernel 2.2.16, Tomcat-jakarta-3.2.1,
>> apache 1.3.14.
>Most importantly, what version of the JDK are you using?  (and are you
>running on an SMP system?) - there are some bizarre sigsev violations
that>i've made disappear by upgrading to the latest JDK.
>The other possible issue you're running into is linux typically has set
>limits on the number of file descriptors (which network connections are
>a type of) per process, and this number is typically around 1024...
>(and given the other file descriptors that may be open internally for
>other purposes - would explain your crashings around the upper 900's)
>    echo "Upping system limits"
>    echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
>    echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
>is what I use on our production servers.  Note - you -may- have to
>make a kernel change to go to some of these higher numbers...

View raw message