tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Markovic <i...@sculptlight.com>
Subject How can I find number of 'open files'
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:38:55 GMT
I had a problem a while back with 'too many open files'. So I checked
and fix some bugs in my code and increased the limit (Solaris running
on Sun Netra T1).  But now the problem is back. I suspect it is a
problem with my code.

How can I find out how many files are 'open'? If I can track that
number then I can hit my code through Tomcat and see roughly when the
files are not being closed. Is there some Unix function that will
allow me to monitor open files?

Below is the kind of error that I see.... thank you.

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:421)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:243)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:222)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:277)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:344)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:411)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8007]
shutdown due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open
files

--
Ivan Markovic
SculptLight