tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat User list - NNTP?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:27:51 GMT
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Chris Gross wrote:
>
> > Is there a usenet group that mirrors this list?  Or another way to
> > browse this list using my newsgroup reader?
>
> With most mail readers, you can get *very* close to the same user
> experience.  Here's what I do with Netscape Communicator:
>
> * Set up a message filter that automatically copies messages
>   addressed to TOMCAT-USER to a separate folder.
>
> * Set that folder to sort messages in threaded sequence (which
>   is my favorite way) or however you like.
>
> * Use the "Search Messages" facility to browse.

I was going to suggest something similar.  I use pine to read mail,
procmail to sort mail, and nn to read news.  I could easily set things
up so all tomcat-user mail is sorted into a separate folder.  Then I
could use pine to read that folder, if I wanted to read it more as
mail (I could even set it up so pine considers it an "incoming
folder", so it handles it as new mail).  Or I could use nn to read it,
if I wanted to read it more as news.  The only thing missing is
auto-expiration of messages, which I could easily set something up
for.  (I guess responding to messages is missing when reading it as
news as well.)

Of course, this is all on a UNIX system, so may not be applicable for
some of you :-).

> Alternatively, there are several public web sites that archive TOMCAT-USER
> (and other Jakarta lists).  Several links are listed at
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu