tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Are many people running Tomcat 4 in standalone mode?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:34:58 GMT

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Dmitri Colebatch wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rob S. wrote:
> > files.  For personal sites, I would run standalone.  It's less of a hassle
> > to configure and maintain.
>
> and run tomcat as root or run a squid accelerator?

With Tomcat 4 you won't have to run as root to use port 80.  Thus the only
technical reason (leaving aside performance for the moment) is if your
application requires other functionality that is built in to Apache but
not Tomcat).

Personally, all the web apps I've ever written are nearly totally dynamic
content, so running with Apache wouldn't help.  Even when there is lots of
static content, consider the fact that web browsers cache pages, and send
an "If-Modified-Since" header on subsequent requests for the same static
resource.  If Tomcat 4 has ever served a particular static resource
before, it can answer with a "Not Modified" response with zero disk
accesses.  Thus, if your static resources are repetitively accessed (by
the same user), any performance difference between Apache and Tomcat is
*totally* irrelevant after the first request.

The bottom line - don't believe *anything* you read about whether it is
faster one way or the other, until you've tried *your* application both
ways.  The old conventional wisdom is not universally accurate any more.

Craig