tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject RE: Moving /WEB-INF/lib or adding to it in TC 4.0
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, James, Stuart wrote:

> so what is the best option....
> where should you place database jar's, ibm queue jar's etc..., surely
> you would not copy them into your applications web-inf area?
> additionaly I would not want them in the tomcat classpath?
> what is the prefered solution ?
> I need to consider that more than the web server mayuse the jar files
> so I do not want to copy them into the web server area, additionaly I
> don't like the idea of changing the supplied or the global
> CLASSPATH environment.
> Can you not add .jars to the application configuration ?

What do do depends on the visibility your JAR needs:

* To make a JAR file available to a single web app only, put it in the
  /WEB-INF/lib directory of that webapp.

* To make a JAR file available to all web apps, put it in the
  $TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory.  These JAR files automatically get added to
  the CLASSPATH (for 3.2) or placed in a parent classloader (4.0), so that
  they are visible to all of your apps.

You never have to mess with CLASSPATH.

View raw message