tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block requests
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:56:04 GMT

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Venkatesh Sangam wrote:

> Hi craig,
> what I meant by blocking was, rejecting the requests because of flooding of
> requests on the server
>
> This is to avoid too many requests waiting to be sevred and not from a
> particular IP adress
>
> This will avoid overload on the server at the cost of rejecting the
> requests.

That's a very different issue.

What you can do for this is configure your HTTP connector for how many
simultaneous requests it can support (in Tomcat 4, this is the
"maxProcessors" attribute on the <Connector> element in the "server.xml"
file.  When this many requests are already simultaneously active, the
socket will queue up waiting requests, up to the value specified by the
"acceptCount" attribute.

With the default values (acceptCount="10" and maxProcessors="75"), this
means that up to 75 simultaneous requests can be processed (on 75
individual threads).  The 76th through 85th simultaneous requests will be
queued up inside the socket, waiting for one of the first 75 to
finish.  If there are already 10 requests queued up, any further clients
will get "connection refused".

I imagine that Tomcat 3.x has something similar on the <Connector>
element, but I'm not as familiar with the details there.

> can anyone help me with this
> Venkatesh

Craig