tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block requests
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:18:21 GMT

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Venkatesh Sangam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anyone plese tell me how to block requests.
> if the tomcat server is overloaded with requests can anyone plese tell me
> how to block the requests and avoid the flooding of requests on the server

It's hard to answer this without knowing exactly what type of
"blocking" you are trying to accomplish.  For example, Tomcat 4 has
request filter valves available, so that you can reject requests from
certain IP addresses or remote hostnames -- but Tomcat still has to
receive and process the request in order for it to recognize this.

If you want to prevent Tomcat from even being bothered by requests from
particular places, you'll need to implement it in hardware (with a
firewall) or equivalent software (like the tcpwrappers package in Linux)
that intercepts the request before Tomcat ever sees it.

For any solution, though, you need to be able to identify what kinds of
requests you're trying to block.

> venkatesh

Craig