tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: IE and downloading a binary file
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:04:54 GMT
We ran into this same problem here a while ago.

Here's a couple (unhelpful) Microsoft Knowledge Base articles regarding
the problem:

They recommend upgrading to IE5.5 SP1, but that didn't even seem to work
right here.

Thad Humphries <>
08/30/2001 12:06 PM
Please respond to tomcat-user

        Subject:        Re: IE and downloading a binary file

Friend, if you ever find out, please let me know--I've been searching
for a solution to this IE "feature" for over four years now!!

I've fallen back on telling the user in my documentation to use the
browser's save function (in the case of text, images, etc.) or the save
of the application opened in the browser window (in the case of Excel,
Word, etc.).

Jez, I wish Mozilla would finally get it together...

Zsolt Koppany wrote:

>My servlet has to get the Browsers to download binary file independently
of their contents. For this purpose I use
response.setContentType("application/octet-stream") and I write the
content of the file into the output stream of the server. it works fine
with Netscape and partly with IE. The problem is that IE obviously ignores
setContentType() and depending of the file sometime it tries to show the
content of the file instead of downloading it.
>How can I force IE to download the file?

Thad Humphries               " religious test shall ever be required
Web Development Manager       as a qualification to any office or public
Phone: 540/675-3015, x225     trust under the United States." -Article VI

View raw message