tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Venkatesh Sangam" <venkatesh_san...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Block requests
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:46:22 GMT
Hi craig,
what I meant by blocking was, rejecting the requests because of flooding of
requests on the server

This is to avoid too many requests waiting to be sevred and not from a
particular IP adress

This will avoid overload on the server at the cost of rejecting the
requests.

can anyone help me with this
Venkatesh

.......Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

Venkatesh Sangam,
910 E, Lemon Street,
Apt #7,
Tempe, AZ, 85281
Ph:1-480-736-9392

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Block requests
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Venkatesh Sangam wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > can anyone plese tell me how to block requests.
 > if the tomcat server is overloaded with requests can anyone plese tell me
 > how to block the requests and avoid the flooding of requests on the
server

It's hard to answer this without knowing exactly what type of
"blocking" you are trying to accomplish.  For example, Tomcat 4 has
request filter valves available, so that you can reject requests from
certain IP addresses or remote hostnames -- but Tomcat still has to
receive and process the request in order for it to recognize this.

If you want to prevent Tomcat from even being bothered by requests from
particular places, you'll need to implement it in hardware (with a
firewall) or equivalent software (like the tcpwrappers package in Linux)
that intercepts the request before Tomcat ever sees it.

For any solution, though, you need to be able to identify what kinds of
requests you're trying to block.

 > venkatesh

Craig