tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat crashes simultaneous more connection above 990+
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:41:45 GMT
Santosh Pasi at spasi@diskonnet.com wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  And good link, really useful.
>
> Here are results of our troubleshoot :(
> On PIII 600, 256 Mb RAM, IDE Harddisk, RedHat Linux -
> total no. of max. connection 990-1000 and finally tomcat crashes.  But
> still apache, ldap and other applications are still running perfectly ok.

You'll never handle 10.000 connections on this thing... Get a decent
operating system and more ram :). If you're using native threads, there's a
limit of processes the kernel can spawn (and since threads are processes on
linux, you might be hitting that limit), and a limit on the number of file
descriptors open system-wide (and that's the other one you might be
hitting), or file descriptors open per-process (1024, so pretty close to
what you're observing, I believe that's it).

> On RS/6000, AIX 4.3, 1000Gb RAM, etc
> Total no. of max. connection 1600-2000 and finally reponse time
> increases specially from tomcat.  But still apache, ldap and other
> applications are still running perfectly ok.

Dunno anything about AIX... But if response time increases, I believe it's
because you're using green threads, and the JVM slice takes more time to
figure out what green thread is active and what is not, rather than serving
requests... Try native threads...

    Pier