tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Such a thing as server startup class?
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 23:55:58 GMT
Erik Weber at eweber@cimedia.com wrote:

> Pier, nice solution. Sort of a Servlet implementation of the adapter pattern.

And it works on ALL servlet engines :)

> So you're saying just make the service() method throw an exception, no
> questions asked?

Or use a filter that is not bound to any URL pattern (but that's only
available on servlet 2.0). Check out the servlet spec (2.2 or 2.3, depending
on what platform you need to need to deploy your app on).

> Also, you were quick to fire off about portability, and I agree, but when you
> work in a WebLogic shop . . . Well, it has some nice features. :)

That's why you go off to a shop and but WebLogic for a few thousand $$$. :)

> I hope to
> discover Tomcat's strengths as well in the near future, now that my company
> plans to use it in a limited production role as well.

Tomcat is the R.I.. A very good one. Concerning API functionalities, Tomcat
will provides few things (interceptors, valves). Other features are
available and will be built in the future, but just remember the tradeoff of
building on top of that, despite of relying on what's provided you by the
platform (those APIs implemented by all vendors)

> All, I would still be interested in hearing any other ideas on the "startup
> class" problem.

    Pier