tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <>
Subject RE: Growing Memory
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:25:42 GMT

	You could try one of the profiling tools out there (we use a very
old version of OptimizeIt) to spot where the memory is going and how it got

	A few things that could be your problem, though:
	1. You are putting very large objects into sessions and your
sessions have long or no expiration times
	2.  You have an object with a static variable that you keep adding
to (map, list, set, etc) and aren't ever clearing
	3.  You have some form of buffered IO where the buffer isn't being

	Realize that these are the end causes of your memory leak.  You
might be using some library (like JDBC drivers) that could cause one or more
of these issues if they are miss configured.  If its possible, I would
suggest that you try using your servlets one at a time and spot which
servlet is causing the memory to go up.

View raw message