tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Schmid <>
Subject Virtual Host Confusion
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 14:37:31 GMT
I swear I've read the documentation!  I have Virtual Hosts Contexts defined;

     <Context path="" docBase="/home/net/foobar/htdocs"

     <Context path="" docBase="/home/com/barfoo/htdocs" debug="0"/>

     JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
     JkMount /*.xml ajp13
     JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
     AddType text/xml .xml
     DocumentRoot /home/net/foobar/htdocs
     <Directory "/home/net/foobar/htdocs/">
         Options All
         AllowOverride Authconfig

I want to be able to put xml files and jsp in the main directory or at
least in a directory  entirely controlled by foobar.

Is the docBase relative to $TOMCAT_HOME or is it an absolute path?
What is appBase?  Does this work in Tomcat 3.x or only in 4.x?

Do I need to run separate instances of Tomcat for each virtual host?

Do I have to have a webapps directory in each Virtual Host. How about a
WEB-INF and a web.xml directory in each directory?

The documentation seems out of date especially the links regarding web.xml.

Help is greatly appreciated!

View raw message