tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim O'Neil <...@xythos.com>
Subject Re: Control the number of request's
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:07:50 GMT
At 03:18 PM 8/13/2001, you wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>Can anyone explain me (and to all people of the list) how control the number
>of request that one client can do? I'm using Tomcat 3.2.3 and if one client
>with IE or NN push Reload several times, my server does one connection to
>the DataBase in all the requests. Then, the Oracle 8i crash becouse the
>other server creates several process, one per thread of the session of the
>Tomcat. I would like to respond only the last request, and cancel the
>previous one.
>Is it possible with Tomcat?

It'd probably be a lot easier to simply up the Oracle configuration.
It's a little of putting the cart before the horse by attempting to
control the number of requests. If the requests exceed the capacity
of your web server the worst that happens is the excess requests get
things like 404's (I think). But an Oracle server crashing means you
probably have aspect of it's configuration set too low. Trying to
solve the problem by some how limiting the requests doesn't sound
like the optimal solution to me. You may be running the server with
default settings. Look at the config file and up whatever it is that
deals with connections to the data base and threads. I used to know
but its been a long time.