tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thad Humphries <t...@mindwrap.com>
Subject Re: IE and downloading a binary file
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:06:05 GMT
Friend, if you ever find out, please let me know--I've been searching
for a solution to this IE "feature" for over four years now!!

I've fallen back on telling the user in my documentation to use the
browser's save function (in the case of text, images, etc.) or the save
of the application opened in the browser window (in the case of Excel,
Word, etc.).

Jez, I wish Mozilla would finally get it together...

Zsolt Koppany wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My servlet has to get the Browsers to download binary file independently of their contents.
For this purpose I use response.setContentType("application/octet-stream") and I write the
content of the file into the output stream of the server. it works fine with Netscape and
partly with IE. The problem is that IE obviously ignores setContentType() and depending of
the file sometime it tries to show the content of the file instead of downloading it.
>How can I force IE to download the file?
>Zsolt

Thad Humphries               "...no religious test shall ever be required
Web Development Manager       as a qualification to any office or public
Phone: 540/675-3015, x225     trust under the United States." -Article VI