tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Frank Neumann <frank.neum...@bb-data.de>
Subject Re: Problems with German ä, ö,
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:34:43 GMT
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Sudell wrote:

> "Frank Neumann"
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm experiencing problems when using the German letters ä ö ü ß in
> > URL's.
> >
> > first box: Solaris 2.6, JDK 1.3.0, tomcat 3.2.1
> > tomcat was installed as binary distribution by a developer from another
> > company. When using correctly URL-encoded ä ö ü ß there is no problem.
> > The servlets work fine.
> >
> > second box: Solaris 7, JDK 1.3.1, tomcat 3.2.1
> > I compiled and installed tomcat by myself. When using correctly
> > URL-encoded ä ö ü ß they doesn't seem to get correctly to the servlets
> > and the servlets fail. The resulting URL contains a ? instead of the
> > original encoded letter.
> >
> > I assume this has something to do with localization. The locales on both
> > boxes are identical. My question is how to configure tomcat to work
> > correctly.
> >

> Not sure if this is it, but I'll give you something to look at.
>
> Try looking at the system property file.encoding.  As far as I can tell
> (I'm working on a similar problem at the moment):
>
>  o the loader for the jvm examines the C locale and sets file.encoding
>  o on solaris 2.6, in the "C" locale (LANG unset), the file encoding
>    is latin 1 (ISO8859-1).
>  o on solaris 2.7, in the "C" locale, the file encoding is ascii (646),
>    but in the "en_US" (LANG="en_US") the file encoding is ISO8859-1.
>
> or at least those are the results I get on the 1.2 jvm's I have loaded.
>
> If I had to guess, the story is something like a C locale implies an
> encoding, a Java locale does not (makes sense everything is UCS-16
> anyway), you can spec an encoding for Java to use when transcoding
> external multi-byte to widechar (look at InputStreamReader) but
> it defaults based on the external C locale (ie how it expects your
> files to work).
>
> Figuring out the default encoding difference will at least explain
> the difference between the boxes (assuming that's what it is).  That
> still leaves figuring out how it comes into play.  But it's a start.

you gave me the right hint. After I defined LANG=en_US in tomcat.sh all works
fine. Strange enough, I had a similar problem regarding the representation of
amounts of money on Solaris 8 with JVM 1.3.0_02. There the definition of
LC_MONETARY in tomcat.sh didn't work but an additional -Duser.language=de to
the JVM command line did it.
Thanks a lot.

Frank