tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@sfu.ca>
Subject Re: New to servlets: Parameter initialisation in web.xml
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Eeek, I'm not sure where to start =)

> I have to set some <init-param> parameters in web.xml
> that are used in one of the examples init() method.
> Unfortunately the initialisation is not working
> properly and i get a 'null' when I print out the
> variable.

Are you aware that web.xml only applies to the application it's part of?  For example, /ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
settings won't have any impact on the execution of the /examples application.

> Also I have added a context path to server.xml, so
> that I can use my own named directories.
> But this does not seem to work either.

I'm not sure I understand... You explicitly setup a Context in server.xml?

> I can run servlets in the
> \webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes folder, but I can not
> get the servlets in the examples directory to work.

And the servlets executing from there should be able to see your params specified in ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml.
 Can they?

- r