tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Re: Tomcat crashes simultaneous more connection above 990+
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:31:33 GMT
Well I think you're completely nuts :) For 10,000 concurrent requests for
*dynamic* data (or else you'd just be using Apache.. right?), you'd need a
server farm full of fancy equipment, a load-balancing server, and stuff that
even my wildly ignorant speculations can't conceive.

Besides, I don't think any single server with simple thread-per-request,
blocking IO model can handle that sort of load. A smart fellow called Matt
Welsh did his PhD thesis on highly concurrent server apps, and the results of
his thinking are here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/sandstorm/

In particular, the paper "The Staged Event-Driven Architecture for Highly
Concurrent Servers." is well worth reading.

--Jeff
(who thinks 50 concurrent users is pushing things)

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:54:28PM +0530, Santosh Pasi wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for reply.
> I am looking around 10,000 to 12,000 concurrent connections.
[snip]