tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "A.L." <amoslie...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Servlet Uses Another Class
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:20:33 GMT
Paul,
   i appreciate your help.  I haven't been able to get
any servlet I have created to work which imports
another clas for some reason.  SO what I am currently
trying to do is use an example from the Oreilly
Servlet book.  Unfortunately the book doesn't have a
solution to the problem I am experiencing.  The
previous use of the terms myClass and Myservlet were
used to simplify things.  The real java files are
Calendar.java and HtmlSqlResult.java.  Calendar is the
Servlet which creates an instance of HtmlSqlResult.

HtmlSqlResult is compiling fine.  I currenlty have it
in the same directory as Calendar.java.  Now when I
try to compile Calendar.java  I get the following
error:

C:\work\jt\tomcat\webapps\jd\WEB-INF\classes>javac
Calendar.java
Calendar.java:8: cannot resolve symbol
symbol: class HtmlSQLResult
import HtmlSQLResult;
^
Calendar.java:59: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HtmlSQLResult
location: class Calendar
        HtmlSQLResult result;
        ^
2 errors

Here is the code for Calendar.java :

import HtmlSQLResult;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
/**
 *
 * @author  alieberman
 * @version
 */
public class Calendar extends HttpServlet {
   private Connection con = null;
        try
        {

           con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:calendar");
        }
        catch (ClassNotFoundException e){
        throw new UnavailableException("Couldn't load
database driver");
        }

        catch (SQLException e) {
        throw new UnavailableException("Couldn't Get
db Connection");
        }
    }

    /** Destroys the servlet.
    */
    public void destroy() {
        try {
            if (con!=null) con.close();
        }
        catch (SQLException ignored) {}

    }

    /** Processes requests for both HTTP
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    */
    protected void processRequest(HttpServletRequest
request, HttpServletResponse response)
    throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
        response.setContentType("text/html");
        java.io.PrintWriter out =
response.getWriter();

        out.println("<html>");
        out.println("<head>");
        out.println("<title>Calendar</title>");
        out.println("</head>");
        out.println("<body>");
        HtmlSQLResult result;
        out.println("</body>");
        out.println("</html>");

        out.close();
    }

    /** Handles the HTTP <code>GET</code> method.
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    */
    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
    throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
        processRequest(request, response);
    }

    /** Handles the HTTP <code>POST</code> method.
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    */
    protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
    throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
        processRequest(request, response);
    }

    /** Returns a short description of the servlet.
    */
    public String getServletInfo() {
        return "Short description";
    }