tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Roberto B." <robe...@ipermedianet.com>
Subject Re: Why and How Tomcat before Apache?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:57:32 GMT
I use Tomcat 4.. where and which are the configuration file ?

I use the the command startup.sh in the tomacat_home dir. to start Tomcat 4
Do I have to insert this command in rc* ?

Roberto.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutinovic@ev.co.yu>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <roberto@ipermedianet.com>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: Why and How Tomcat before Apache?

> > I have a Linux/Debian system.
> > I want to use Apache as web-server and Tomcat only for JSP file.
>
> You can use it for servlets, too. :-)
>
> > Is it true that it is necessary to make start Tomcat before Apache?
Why?..

> 1. Tomcat usually builds automatic configuration for including in Apache's
httpd.conf. If nothing changed from the last time, then Apache can use the
old generated file. Still it should make any admin feel uneasy.

> 2. Apache connects to Tomcat via plugin, mod_jserv (my case - Digital
UNIX), mod_jk or mod_webapp. It is reasonable to assume that the other end
should be up and running, when Apache loads that module.

> > and if it is true.. how??
>
> You have startup scripts which bring up most, if not all, of your daemons.
Place Tomcat's startup commands there. On our Digital UNIX it is a
collection of stratup/shutdown scripts in /sbin/init.d/ On Linux it should
be /etc/rc* or something similar.