tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Why and How Tomcat before Apache?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:28:25 GMT
> I have a Linux/Debian system.
> I want to use Apache as web-server and Tomcat only for JSP file.

You can use it for servlets, too. :-)

> Is it true that it is necessary to make start Tomcat before Apache? Why?..

1. Tomcat usually builds automatic configuration for including in Apache's httpd.conf. If
nothing changed from the last time, then Apache can use the old generated file. Still it should
make any admin feel uneasy.

2. Apache connects to Tomcat via plugin, mod_jserv (my case - Digital UNIX), mod_jk or mod_webapp.
It is reasonable to assume that the other end should be up and running, when Apache loads
that module.

> and if it is true.. how??

You have startup scripts which bring up most, if not all, of your daemons. Place Tomcat's
startup commands there. On our Digital UNIX it is a collection of stratup/shutdown scripts
in /sbin/init.d/ On Linux it should be /etc/rc* or something similar.

Nix.