tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dmitri Colebatch <...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Re: JSP Setup.
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:37:44 GMT
ok there's your problem.  Tomcat requires the JDK, not the JRE.  THe
difference being... tools.jar (o:  The reason for this is that tomcat
needs to compile the jsps for your, and uses... sun.tools.javac.Main
(surprise surprise) to do it (o:  I'm guessing this is starting to add up
for you now?  Anyway, tools.jar is part of the jdk, and your best bet is
probably to download a complete jdk and use that instead of the jre.  You
may well be able to do it by copying the tools.jar found under kaffe, but
I'm not sure what versions you'd have and how everything would work
together.

cheers
dim

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Tim Ashman wrote:

> I'm using jre1.3.1.   Redhat 7.0.  The servlets work through apache or
> at port 8080.
>
> I didn't have a tools.jar in my classpath.  I found a tools.jar in
> /usr/share/kaffe...  So I copied it to  ../tomcat/lib  same error.  Then
> I moved it to  ../jre1.3.1/lib  same error.  My classpath has both of
> these directories..   When I restart tomcat I can see it using tools.jar
> now, maybe this isn't the correct tools.jar. So I did a search for
> tools.jar on sun.java.com and only found documents but not a link to the
> file.  I just love this stuff!!
>
> Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
>
> > someone correct me, but is this the jre not jdk problem.  Tim - what java
> > package do you have?  Do you have a tools.jar in your classpath?  on
> > another note, if tomcat through 8080 doesn't work, then apache-tomcat
> > definately wont....
> >
> > cheesr
> > dim
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Tim Ashman wrote:
> >

> >>If I run it through port 8080 ie.      serverhost:8080 then I get the
> >>following error in the browser.  Thanks for your help.
> >>
> >>Error: 500
> >>Location: /examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp
> >>Internal Servlet Error:
> >>
> >>javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
> >>	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:399)
> >>	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:286)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
> >>	at
> >>org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
> >>	at
> >>org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:210)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
> >>	at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:498)
> >>	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

 I've
 I am