tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Timo Boehme <boe...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Subject using WEB-INF/lib slows down execution dramatically
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:11:56 GMT
Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 3.2.x to run a servlet which talks to a Java XML
database. My problem is the following:

If I put the jar files needed by the database in the CLASSPATH on startup
of TOMCAT a specific query takes around 20 seconds. But if I put these jar
files in WEB-INF/lib the query takes 16 minutes! This is nearly 50 times
slower!
This must be related to the class loader TOMCAT uses. I've experimented
with the reloadable flag but this didn't helped. I didn't get an exception
or something else.

Is this problem known and is there something I can do to avoid this
(except from adding the jar files to the CLASSPATH)?

Timo

 Dipl. Inf. Timo Boehme     Phone: +49 341 9732166
 University of Leipzig      Fax:   +49 341 9732209
   Institute of Computer Science, Database Group
    Augustusplatz 10-11, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
      email: boehme@informatik.uni-leipzig.de