tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Documentation for Tomcat 4.0
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:50:56 GMT
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Steven Elliott wrote:

> I have gone over the server.xml.
> I have gone over the web.xml.
> I have gone over the user.xml.
> I have been through both the Developer and Developing Applications With
> Tomcat documentation.
> Unless I've missed some documentation somewhere I've gone over all of it at
> least once if not at least twice.  Nowhere did I come across the <Alias />
> XML tag for the server.xml but I did find it mentioned in the email archives
> as I was searching for Virtual Host information.

The server.xml docs are not 100% complete yet, but this one is in fact
mentioned.  Start up Tomcat, and browse to:

and select the "Host" element in the navigation menu.  Down near the
bottom (in the "Special Features" section), you will find documentation on
"Host Name Aliases", which covers the nested <Alias> element.

(From the Tomcat default home page, follow the "General Tomcat User
Documentation" link, followed by "Server Configuration").

> Please if someone could point me in the direction of where I might find the
> documentation for the server, user and web xml files (Tomcat v.4) I would
> really, really appreciate it.

For server.xml stuff, see the link above.  For web.xml, that is defined in
the Servlet Specification, which you can download from:

Tomcat 4 conforms to the most recent Proposed Final Draft of the Servlet
2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications.

> Steven Elliott           <>
> Systems Integrator
> Interactive Tecnologia, Lda.