tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Raphael Kuriyan" <>
Subject Re: Help! Can't install Tomcat
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:24:29 GMT

You need JDK to run JSPs on Apache. Take out your JRE and install the

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hewko, Doug" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 5:44 PM
Subject: Help! Can't install Tomcat

Help! I'm having problems installing Tomcat 4 on a WinNT 4 machine.

I dloaded the binary code and added my JAVA_HOME (to JRE 1.3.1) and
TOMCAT_HOME paths. I have "c:\jdk1.3.1\lib\tools.jar" appended to my
CLASSPATH. When I type "http://localhost:8080", I get the Tomcat default
page. When I try to execute a JSP, I get the following error:
A Servlet Exception Has Occurred
Exception Report:
javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(

What am I doing wrong? I am not a system administrator, so please be
patient. I just want to install Tomcat so I can install Cocoon2 and do some
XML programming. Help!

View raw message