tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thorsten Schwarz" <>
Subject AW: Killing endless loop servlet - howto ? killing JVM or unload class ?
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:42:21 GMT

> I thought the problem with threads was that you actually _cannot_ kill
> them, even "in Java". I find this stupid, and hope I'm wrong! But

That's the point. There is NO WAY in a JVM to stop or kill an arbitrary
thread from outside. This is one of the main disadvantages in Java!!
Even unloading the class by garbage collecting the classloader that loaded
the running thread class wouldn't help because the running class is only
garbage collected if its in no use by any thread (in this case by itself).

View raw message