tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Nock" <pn...@medicineplanet.com>
Subject RE: Load Balancing for WEB-Application with sessions
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:19:36 GMT
jk_mount/loadbalancing works well for this kind of thing.  We use it
loadbalancing across multiple servers, with multiple JVMs on each server.

The only issue we had was in the way our (Foundry) loadbalancer handled
things:

We needed session state preserved by cookie or sessionid, and it proved
'difficult' to make the loadbalancer work in this way with the default
tomcat session state stuff, ie.
cookie name = JSESSIONID
or
http://blah.com/blah/blah;jsessionid=BBBBBB.ident

Problem is the loadbalancer pattern matching used to preserve sessions by
URL couldn't do matching for cases like:
http://blah.com/blah/blah;jsessionid=*.worker
where the pattern to be matched is the ;jsessionid=*.worker

Cookie matching wasn't much better either, so we resorted to adding an extra
cookie in our application that was purely for use by the loadbalancer to
send the request to the right machine.

What we resorted to was rebuilding tomcat changing the name of 'jsessionid'
to something that identified the node so the loadbalancer knew where to send
it.

Works fine, if a bit messy due to hardware limitations.

Paul