tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pete Freitag" ...@cfdev.com>
Subject RE: image resize
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:31:49 GMT
I wouldn't say its "Beyond the Scope of Servlets" there are several usages
for server side image manipulation in web applications, and many other web
development languages have components for doing so.  For instance
	- automatically resizing images when they are uploaded so that they are all
the same size.
	- automatically generating thumbnails
	- In some very specific cases, creating dynamic images with text

Though I can see where you are coming from it IS beyond the scope of
servlets to make a server side PhotoShop.

Pete Freitag (pfreitag@cfdev.com)
CFDEV.COM
Web Developers Resources
http://www.cfdev.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Draucker [mailto:richard@draucker.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 12:08 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: image resize

Can you be more specific what you mean by "resize"?
Html will allow you to set the displayable height/width of an image.  If
your
servlet is outputting html, just add a height or width attribute.
However, if you want to "manipulate" the image itself that's beyond the
scope
of tomcat or servlets in general... use your favorite image editor and serve
the resulting image from the servlet.

--
Richard Draucker richard@protected-data.com
Protected-Data.Com www.protected-data.com