tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thierry PROUTEAU>
Subject understanding context and servlet
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:24:14 GMT

First of all, sorry if my question is not clear, coz i'm not a developper (i
don't understand a thing in java, servlet,..) but i have to manage a
computer running IIS 4.0 + Tomcat 3.2.3 and i don't know what to do.

One of our programmer created a little html form page wich does this :

<form action="http://computer:8080/upload/servlet/UploadServlet"
method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">

i have a servlet called UploadServlet.class somewhere.
How do Tomcat know how to resolve the path in order to load the servlet ?
I read that there are mapping in the server.xml, there are context in the,...

I'm completly lost. I want to understand the different steps from the call
of the Tomcat engine, to the execution of the servlet (wich actions are
perform according to what parameters, environnement variable, registry,...)

I really need your help, please.
Thank you for your patience.

View raw message