tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat standalone vs Tomcat w/ Apache
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:34:23 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan at craigmcc@apache.org wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Tim O'Neil wrote:
>
>> At 05:19 PM 7/30/2001, you wrote:
>>> Of course, there are many non-performance-related reasons you might be
>>> required to use Apache in conjunction with Tomcat (if you need the other
>>> functionality that it provides).  But, if you don't, you owe it to
>>> yourself to see if Tomcat stand-alone runs fast enough before undertaking
>>> the extra pain it takes to configure them to run together.
>>
>> I don't consider it that painful. It's hardly a pain at all.
>> It involves adding an include to apache's httpd.conf.
>
> That works until you try a servlet mapping in your web.xml file, or a
> security constraint, or a bunch of other things.  Current generation
> connectors for Apache (but not mod_webapp under Tomcat 4) totally ignore
> the contents of the web.xml file, so you have to tediously configure
> everything twice.

Currently, mod_webapp forwards _ALL_ requests to tomcat for a given
web-application, but within its structure there's already a hook to parse
the web.xml file and process it...

At the end, I'll be happy to see static files served by Apache (whenever
possible) and all the rest handled by Tomcat...

It's not a big hack, and I am trying to have it working by the next release
of the WebApp module...

But, on the other hand, currently mod_webapp is the only one that is 100%
compliant with the servlet spec... :(

    Pier