tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: TOMCAT LOG FILE BEHAVIOUR
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:09:10 GMT

	Every time the Tomcat process is started the files are wiped clean.
This means that for the service, every time the service is started it will
clean the files (probably every machine restart).

	The maximum file size is limited by the size of the disk the log
files reside on.  When they reach the maximum Tomcat keeps running, but
other parts of your WebApp might fail (like you can't compile any more JSP
files) and your system might begin to have problems (depending upon what
else is using that disk).

	One suggestion would be to stop the service on a regular basis (like
daily or weekly), copy the log files elsewhere, and then start the service
back up.  Something like:
net stop Tomcat
cp c:\tomcat\logs\*.log c:\tomcat\logs\old\
net start Tomcat

and then us NT's at to run it on a regular basis.

	Randy